Farmers for Monarchs - a Keystone Collaborative is an initiative of the Keystone Policy Center. The Collaborative consists of national organizations representing farmers, ranchers, and land owners; businesses working along the agricultural supply chain; researchers and academic institutions; federal and state entities; and conservation organizations – see members list below. We support productive agriculture and livestock operations in concert with monarch conservation. An increase in milkweed and nectar plants appropriately placed in rural areas can benefit monarchs without inhibiting production. Because farmers and ranchers are stewards of the land across much of monarch habitat, they are in a unique position to support sustainable monarch populations.
Farmers, ranchers, and landowners are already engaged in conservation initiatives focused on water quality, erosion control, wildlife, and pollinator habitat. These efforts demonstrate that continuing innovation in agricultural practices can reduce environmental impacts, increase crop productivity, and be compatible with monarch conservation efforts.
Farmers for Monarchs is committed to making progress through voluntary efforts to restore, enhance, and protect monarch habitat while maintaining productive agricultural operations.
The Collaborative is utilizing the expertise and experience of our members to
- Identify agricultural and conservation practices to support healthy monarch populations
- Increase awareness of those strategies with the agricultural community and other interested parties
- Promote the implementation of practices that will support monarch butterfly populations in agricultural landscapes.
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- American Soybean Association
- BASF Corporation
- Bayer Crop Science
- Bee and Butterfly Habitat Fund
- Corn Refiners Association
- Corteva Agriscience
- Environmental Defense Fund
- FMC Corporation
- Iowa State University
- Monarch Watch - University of Kansas
- Monarch Joint Venture
- National Association of Wheat Growers
- National Corn Growers Association
- Pheasants Forever
- Saint Louis Zoo - WildCare Institute
- Sand County Foundation
- Tribal Alliance for Pollinators
With input from
- Midwest Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Farmers for Monarchs is facilitated by Keystone Policy Center. For More information, please contact Matt Mulica. You can also contact our Pollinator Habitat Help Desk at (337) 422-4828 or (337) HABITAT for more information on planting milkweed and other pollinator habitat on your land.
Keystone Policy Center is a trusted non-profit organization founded in 1975 to drive actionable, shared solutions to contentious agriculture, environment, energy, education, and public health issues.